It’s 2020, and virtually every gaming gear available is now portable. As a gamer, regular backpacks hardly have the right capacity, dedicated pockets, protective features, or style for your console and control pads. However, a gaming backpack offers all these and much more for true gamers.
Going through loads of products on Amazon can be time-consuming. So, we did the grunt work for you!
In this article, you’ll get reviews and a comprehensive breakdown of the best gaming bags. We’ll also provide you with tips on what you should look out for when shopping for one.
Our Top 3 Picks
Here’s a sneak peek at the top bags for gamers:
1. ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) Nomad backpack (Best overall gaming bag)
This bag is one is the best gaming backpacks available. It is made from water-resistant ballistic nylon and is filled with pockets for different gaming gadgets.
2. Razer Tactical Pro Backpack (Best tactical gaming backpack)
This backpack is water-resistance and scratchproof with removable MOLLE pockets. It also features easy-to-access internal pockets and a large compartment for a 17.3″ laptop.
3. Acer Predator Utility Gaming Backpack (Best for durability)
Designed for the everyday gamer, this backpack is rugged and suitable for all weather conditions. It is well-constructed and sports top-notch ergonomic features.
|ASUS Republic of Gamers Nomad Backpack for 17-inches G-Series Notebooks||Prime||Buy Now|
|Mobile Edge Razer Tactical Pro 17 Inch Laptop Gaming Backpack, Black, Rugged Ballistic Material, Padded Laptop Section, Molle Pocket Front, Water-resistant, Hideaway Rain Cover, RAZERBP17||Prime||Buy Now|
|Acer Predator Utility Gaming Backpack, Water Resistant and Tear Proof Travel Backpack Fits and Protects Up to 17.3" Predator Gaming Laptop, Black with Teal Accents||Prime||Buy Now|
Comprehensive reviews of the best gaming backpacks
Here are the best gaming backpacks according to our market search:
1. ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) Nomad backpack (Best overall gaming bag)
Asus is a global brand for hardware and gaming gear. So, it’s no surprise that the company makes some of the best gaming backpacks for people to carry their hardware. This bag is built for massive gaming consoles and has some of the best gaming features available.
The ASUS ROG Nomad comes in characteristic black with two side pockets and several inner pockets. It also has a bottom padding to keep your gear safe and can fit a laptop that measures 17 inches.
In its box, you’ll get a pocket that’s great for carrying hard drives and other accessories.
Dimensions: 13.8 x 7.3 x 20.1 inches
Material: 1680D Ballistic nylon, rubber
Weight: 3.52 pounds
1. Multiple compartments: This backpack has four main compartments. Asides the laptop compartment, there’s a side for a gaming mouse, keyboard, adapter, headset, and other accessories. The third compartment is designed for delicate gear, and there’s a fourth anti-theft space with magnets.
2. Solid handle: Unlike other gaming bags, the ASUS ROG Nomad’s handle is at the side. It offers a strong grip.
3. Comfortable design: The ASUS ROG Nomad has an air mesh back and padding. This is designed to provide you with the comfort you need while on the move. It also has a chest buckle.
- Lightweight for its capacity.
- Dedicated headset space.
- No warranty.
- Small pockets for umbrella and water bottle.
There’s hardly any gaming backpack that can fit as many things as the ROG Nomad. According to ASUS, you can use it to carry 66 pounds of gaming gear. Therefore, the unit can take a:
- USB audio station
Our favorite features are the tiny design details that its manufacturers include in the bag. For example, it has labeled pockets that tell you where to put your accessories and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
On the downside, the side pockets and phone space are way too small for a regular water-bottle and a 5.2-inch phone.
Overall, this gaming backpack is stylish, top-quality, and a good investment if you’re looking for a bag to move around with your gaming equipment.
2. Lenovo Legion Recon Gaming Backpack (Best budget backpack)
If you like commuting with your gaming console, then you should consider the Lenovo Legion Recon. It is a sleek 15.6″ laptop gamers backpack with several pockets and ample space for other gear.
The Legion Recon is a convenient travel bag with a rugged base and chest strap. It comes in one color and is one versatile bag for gamers.
Dimensions: 10.5 x 1.2 x 14.3 inches
Weight: 2.0 pounds
1. Impressive ergonomic features: The Legion Recon backpack is light and easy to carry for long hours. It has padded shoulder straps and a ventilated back padding.
2. Simple design: The backpack isn’t bulky or heavy. It has a modern look, and Legion riveted zippers pulls.
3. Multiple compartments: The Legion Recon has three compartments; a quick-access compartment, a cushioned laptop compartment, and a main section.
The main compartment of this backpack has several inner pockets. At one end, there’s a net pocket and headphone straps. The other space in it is for smaller accessories like cables and drives.
- Decent storage space.
- Breathable back and shoulder straps.
- Water-resistant fabric.
- Thin top handle.
- No rain cover.
The Lenovo Legion Recon is one of the top lightweight bags for gamers in the market. It is thoughtfully designed for the everyday gamer and features spacious compartments for gaming consoles. Asides its catchy looks, the Legion Recon’s polyester material is strong and should last for years to come.
Some recent users report that although it is designed for 15.6″ gaming laptops, 17-inch laptops could also fit in its main section. They claim the padding and rugged base gives laptops and gaming consoles the extra protection they need. According to our research, this isn’t the thickest you’ll find, but it sure protects things you put in it.
In terms of quality, the Lenovo Legion Recon scores high points and is insanely sleek. Consider getting it if you’re big on comfort. It is perhaps the best gaming backpack you’d find for its price.
3. AmazonBasics PlayStation 4 Travel Gaming Backpack (Best gaming console backpack)
One of the easiest ways to spot a gaming backpack is to look at its construction. This AmazonBasics bag is one of the best gaming backpacks that screams durability and sleekness on the fly. Like almost every other backpack for newbies and hardcore gamers, it comes in pure black.
As its name implies, this bag is specifically built for a PS4 or PS4 pro. It has dedicated pockets for your console, headset, and accessories. According to its manufacturers, it is built to protect your gear and is shockproof.
Dimensions: 17 x 7.5 x 20 inches
Material: Polyurethan, pear wool, and nylon.
Weight: 2.3 pounds
1. Durable exterior: This AmazonBasics bag is sturdy and rugged. It is made from high-quality materials, all of which provide amazing protection for gaming consoles and maintains its structural integrity. Its exterior is wear- and tear-resistant.
2. Comfortable design: This bag has adjustable shoulder straps with excellent ventilation. It also features light padding on the backside and straps.
3. Water protection: The backpack is water-resistant and weather-resistant.
- Spacious with numerous pockets.
- Sleek look.
- Comfortable to wear.
- No top handle.
This backpack meets our durability, design, and ergonomic expectations of a top-quality backpack. It can take:
- One PS4 console.
- One VR headset.
- Two move controllers
- One Power cord.
- One power bank
- One controller cable
- One VR headset process unit.
Recent users have said that items ‘fit snugly together’ and the padding keeps gadgets from getting damaged. However, we expected more security features. For example, anti-theft zippers could have been way better than the branded ones.
Our favorite feature of the AmazonBasics PlayStation 4 travel bag is that it compels users to stay organized.
We think you should check it out if you need a quality bag to move your VR and PS4 around. It can also accommodate laptops as long as the laptop is between 15.6 inches to 17 inches long.
4. Razer Tactical Pro Backpack (Best tactical gaming backpack)
Who says you can’t have a gaming backpack for high-activity adventures like hiking, climbing, or trekking?
The Razer Tactical Pro is a bag that fits the description of being durable, heavy-duty, and suitable for gamers. It has modular components upfront and features an insane amount of space for gaming gadgets. Like other products from Razer, it is rugged and branded with the manufacturer’s logo.
The Razer Tactical Pro can take a 17-inch laptop and 17.3-inch gaming laptops.
Dimensions: 15.3 x 18.3 x 7.5 inches
Material: 1680 ballistic nylon
Weight: 4.4 pounds
1. Comfort features: The Razer Tactical Pro backpack is a game-oriented bag that’s designed for comfort. It has padded and ventilated back panels and durable shoulder straps. The tactical bag also comes with convenient D-rings for water-bottles and umbrellas. Furthermore, it’s shoulder and chest straps are adjustable. This allows for even weight distribution.
2. Multiple pockets: This bag has a pocket for virtually everything a gamer would want to carry in a backpack. It comes with three portable cases for different console sizes and there are sub-pockets in each.
The Razer Tactical Pro features two large compartments, a hidden pocket compartment, and a rain cover. Its outer pockets are removable, and you can customize the bag with more MOLLE pouches. There’s also a dedicated headphone holder with a zipper pocket just under the hood.
These pockets come in handy when you want to stay organized while on the move. They all have Velcro flaps.
3. Strong build: According to its manufacturer, the Razer Tactical Pro is made from similar materials as military flak jackets. Its internal compartment is microfiber-lined for laptops and tablets. Furthermore, its tough ballistic material is stretchable, and the tactical gaming bag is frameless.
- Wear- and tear-resistant exterior.
- Scratchproof interior.
- Several pockets.
- Velcro loses grip after a while.
There’s hardly any gaming backpack chart that doesn’t include the Razer Tactical Pro. As a step away from the Razer Tactical, the bag provides more storage options, and its rain cover has a roll-top design. At once, you can fit a:
- 15.6 or 17.3″ laptop
- Power bank
- Gaming headset
- Power cables
- Water bottle
We like the contrasting interior/exterior Razer colors because they help to know when to wash it. Concerning its build quality, capacity, and versatility, the Razer Tactical Pro is top-notch. However, we hoped we could open it through 180 degrees or get an external USB.
Give this backpack a going over if you’re not one to say no to adventures or gaming.
5. Acer Predator Utility Gaming Backpack (Best for durability)
This bag is another top-quality black gaming product that you can find on Amazon. It looks like a regular backpack but holds an impressive number of gaming features and storage options.
The Acer Predator Utility Gaming Backpack is a carrying case that is designed to endure tough conditions. It is also lightweight with top ergonomic and superior construction features.
The Utility backpack can store a 15- to 17-inch laptop conveniently.
Dimensions: 7.1 x 7.9 x 22.4 inches
Material: 1680 ballistic nylon
Weight: 3.44 pounds
1. Tactical accessibility pockets: The Predator Utility gaming backpack has a pocket for virtually every gaming stuff you need while on the go. It has a laptop compartment and tons of pockets upfront and on its sides. According to Acer, the is gaming backpack can hold 220 pounds of gadgets and accessories.
2. Detailed design: The Utility backpack has a wear- and tear-resistant exterior and a rain-resistant interior. It has a bottom padding, utility bands, and easy-to-access spots. Asides its everyday use, you can strap the Utility backpack over your luggage.
3. Ergonomic inclusions: Like other top gaming bags, the Utility backpack has a shoulder-strap padding and a lightly cushioned back panel. These help to increase air-flow and prevents sweating.
- Spacious compartments.
- Durable and sturdy.
- Dedicated space for a headset and other accessories.
- Fray stitches.
Anyone would expect top quality from Acer because it is a recognized global brand. The Acer Predator Utility backpack sure meets these high hopes with top-notch features and storage space for users.
According to Acer, you can store 17-inch gaming laptops, mouse, full-size gaming keyboard, headset, and much more in this bag. The unit’s compartmentalization is unmatched, and the top and bottom flaps are lined with military-grade materials.
On the downside, some customers weren’t impressed with the headset strap or the brittle zippers. However, the bag accumulated a 4.5/5 rating from popular B2B sites.
Overall, our initial impressions of the Acer Predator Gaming backpack are great. You should give it a look if you’re in the market for the best gaming laptop backpack you can find.
6. Targus 17.3 Strike Gaming Backpack (Best multi-pocket backpack)
This is the first-ever Targus tech backpack for mobile gamers. It has 26L of storage capacity and features reflective strips on its sides for visibility. The Strike Gaming backpack has many pockets and offers the right balance of capacity and mobility that casual, hardcore, and professional gamers need.
The Targus 17.3 -inch laptop bag can double as a regular school bag. According to its manufacturers, the gaming backpack offers a good level of protection against slips, falls, and other hazards.
Dimensions: 14 x 6 x 21 inches
Weight: 2.71 pounds
1. Dedicated pockets and loops: The Strike backpack has three major compartments. Although the cushioned laptop space doesn’t open up to 180 degrees, it can fit a big laptop. The second compartment has a labeled pocket for a keyboard, a netted bottom pocket, headphone straps, and ample space for a tablet.
The next compartment is designed to hold a mouse, USB cables, styluses, and other accessories. There’s one water bottle pocket on the Strike backpack and a smaller storage pocket on the other side. Finally, this pocket-rich backpack has a hidden storage option on its back panel and easy-to-access spaces.
2. Comfortable design: The Strike gaming backpack has sternum straps for even weight distribution. It also features air mesh back padding and contoured shoulder straps. You can use it over a luggage bag.
3. Weather protection and visibility: Asides its external reflective strips, the Strike gaming backpack comes with a tethered reflective rain cover.
- Rugged design
- High grip handle with padding.
- Non-reinforced straps.
- Not waterproof.
The Targus Strike backpack is a decent bag for its price. It looks properly designed and can take many things at a go. Therefore, no gamer should have any problem carrying gaming consoles, gadgets, or a massive laptop in its number of pockets.
Recent customers seem pretty impressed with its features and its durability. However, some hoped for better zippers than the metal ones that come with the bag.
In a nutshell, we think the Targus Strike backpack is worth checking out if you need a versatile and affordable backpack that can pass as a regular bag.
7. Dell Alienware Vindicator V2.0 Backpack (Best laptop backpack)
An Alienware needs no introduction to a seasoned gamer, and the Vindicator 2.0 is a backpack for it and other gaming laptops. It is designed with an extremely durable exterior and top-notch interior features.
The Vindicator V2.0 is rigid and rugged. Although its exterior is primarily black, there are different versions with blue and red straps. It can fit a 17.3-inch laptop and holds provides all-round protection for your gaming gear.
Dimensions: 15.5 x 22.5 x 7.12 inches
Weight: 4.17 pounds
1. Reinforced straps, back panel, and handle: The Vindicator 2.0 features non-slip shoulder and chest straps. Its back panel is EVA molded and vented. This distributes weight to other parts of your body (asides your shoulder) and prevents excessive sweating.
2. Durable fabric: The bag is made from tough, high-density nylon. It is weather-resistant and smooth to touch. The bag is finished with elegant accent stitches.
3. Sturdy design: The Alienware Vindicator 2.0 has three compartments with several internal pockets. It has a ballistic design, and you can bring all your gaming equipment with you in it.
- Thick shoulder straps.
- Integrated water bottle holder.
- Has a padded and lined interior.
- Features multiple pockets.
- Not the cheapest gaming backpack.
- Plastic zipper breaks easily.
We think this backpack is thick and well-built. Its signature hard-shell design is hard to miss, and the bag features side zippers for frequently used items. But our favorite feature is the charger pouch that comes with the unit.
Asides your gaming things, we reckon that you can use the Vindicator 2.0 to hold folders and books. You also get a mesh holder in its main compartment, and the entire unit is water-resistant.
On the downside, we hoped to open it through 180 degrees or at least find an external USB on its side.
Here are a couple of things you can fit in an Alienware Vindicator 2.0:
- A mouse
- A 10-inch cord
- A power bank
- A power splitter
- Laptops that measure 17 inches or 17.3 inches
- Folders and files
- Blue-ray disks
- A portable DVD ROM
- A large keyboard.
What more can a gamer ask from a well-designed backpack?
Things to look out for in a gaming backpack
As a gamer, you probably know the things you want to carry in a backpack. But figuring out which bag offers the best deal can be tricky.
For example, should you go for a waterproof backpack without a rain cover or a water-resistant bag that comes with a rain cover? How about a ballistic backpack or polyester bag?
Ultimately, the choice is yours. But here’s a checklist to consider before committing to a backpack:
1. Backpack comfort and weight
If your goal is to move light, then you should consider this factor before backpack shopping.
Gaming gear can be quite heavy. So, a comfortable backpack can make it easy to keep things on your back for long hours. To determine whether a backpack is comfortable or not, consider the following carrying options:
- Chest or waist strap: This feature comes in handy, especially when carrying heavy gaming consoles. A waist or chest strap helps to distribute the weight of your gear and prevents overburdened shoulders.
- Shoulder straps: Shoulder straps provide a means to support your gaming stuff. Ideally, they should be thick. An adjustable strap with padding can also prove useful.
- Back panel: Since this section is in direct contact with your back, it would be worth getting a bag with a ventilated and padded panel if you value comfort.
- Handle: Backpack handles aren’t the most popular carrying option. However, they can do a good job of relieving your back and shoulders for a while. If it’s important to you, consider a side or top handle with padding.
2. Storage options and capacity
Next, think about what the backpack allows you to store. The capacity of a backpack is measured in liters. However, most gaming backpack capacities are rated in terms of the weight of items.
For example, a top-notch laptop backpack should provide enough space for you to carry at least 20 to 30 pounds.
A backpack’s storage option is the other half of the coin, and it is pretty intuitive. Consider backpacks that offer dedicated storage compartments and pockets for the things you want to put in them.
For example, picture a black gaming backpack that’s designed for a PS5. You’d probably be able to put a laptop in it. But that just ruins its compartmentalization and reduces the available space for other things.
3. Bag material
A backpack’s material is just as important as every other factor because it determines how long the backpack lasts. Generally, the following materials can be used to make gaming backpacks:
- Ballistic nylon: This refers to a type of nylon that offers abrasion resistance and durability. The thickness of ballistic nylon is graded in deniers (D), and a bag with a higher rating than another is thicker. For example, a 1200-D backpack is twice as thick as a 600-D bag.
- Polyester: This is another popular material for gaming backpacks. Polyester has high UV-resistance and is one of the most rugged materials for backpacks. It’s selling point is that it holds its color for years, even after several washes.
- Nylon: This is the preferred choice for heavy-duty backpacks. Bags made from nylon provide a means to enjoy both durability and comfort.
The choice is ultimately yours. However, if you value durability, ensure:
- The backpack’s fabric is wear- and tear-resistant.
- Its air mesh doesn’t feel cheap.
- It has quality stitches and zippers.
- It is shockproof.
4. Waterproof vs. Water-resistant
It’s no secret that water can ruin your gaming gadgets in a blink. Therefore, you should consider this option before you go ahead and get any bag.
A waterproof backpack provides complete protection from water spills and rain. On the other hand, a water-resistant bag only offers some protection until it yields to a water volume or depth.
The best gaming backpacks are EVA molded and either waterproof or water-resistant units with rain covers.
5. Additional features
No two backpack versions (even those from the same brand) are identical. Most times, all that distinguishes a unit from another is a feature that users need.
For example, hardcore gaming equipment is quite expensive. Therefore, most hardcore gamers want a feature like an anti-theft pocket or lockable zippers that are designed to provide security. But not every backpack for gamers has this feature.
If you’re keen on getting the best deals, look out for bags that have any of the following:
- A headset stand or case
- Protective cases
- Headphone straps
- Integrated pockets, etc.
Next, consider whether the backpack has a warranty cover or not.
Sometimes, manufacturers overstate the features of their backpacks, and you might only get to know when something bad happens. Other times, an accident can leave you without a backpack for your stuff.
In either case, a warranty can prove useful. Manufacturers generally provide 3-month to lifetime warranties for the best gaming backpacks.
7. Style and available color
Why opt for a dull, saggy bag when you can have the most fashionable backpack at an affordable price?
Also, consider the versatility of the backpack you intend to get. For example, unlike professional and hardcore gamers, many causal gamers like to blend in with the crowd. For them, this means getting a gaming bag that they can use for school or work.
Types of gaming backpacks
Generally, you can get a:
1. Gaming laptop backpacks
These bags are designed for moving about with large laptops. Gaming laptop backpacks are usually longer, to accommodate the 15 to 17.3 inches of most gaming laptops. Manufacturers pay extra attention to the laptop section, ensuring it has the padding and lining it requires.
The Alienware Vindicator V2.0 is an example of a gaming laptop backpack.
2. Tactical gaming backpacks
These are suitable for long commutes and adventures. They are different from other backpacks because they include more pockets, and most are Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment (MOLLE). The Razer Tactical Pro bag is an example.
3. Heavy gaming console backpacks
These are bags that are specifically designed for a type of console. The AmazonBasics PS4 backpack we reviewed earlier is an example of a heavy gaming console backpack. It is designed for the PS4 and its related versions.
What is the future of gaming backpacks?
Backpacks for gamers evolve with changes in the gaming world. According to top gamers, virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) could be the future of video games, and in turn, backpacks. If this script plays out, manufacturers will have to design bags that have dedicated slots for VR headsets and other next-gen features, like a foldable gaming chair.
Cyber theft has also been a huge problem in the gaming world as cybercriminals are discovering new ways to get ahead. Pro games tip that Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) could become widespread. Therefore, gamers with RFID backpacks won’t have to worry about information loss or stolen backpacks.
Q1. What is the best gaming backpack?
Our best gaming backpack is the ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) Nomad backpack.
Q2. What is the difference between a regular backpack and a gaming bag?
Firstly, an ordinary backpack undoubtedly allows you to organize your laptop and other gaming stuff. However, they don’t come close to matching the organizational features of gaming backpacks. So, with a gamer backpack, you’ll have pockets for each gaming device you want to carry along.
Secondly, ordinary backpacks don’t have the facilities to carry your gaming laptops and gear weight. Moreover, gaming backpacks have water-protective features.
In a nutshell, gaming bags save you from having to worry about damaged gears or hurting shoulders.
The only time you should consider using a regular backpack instead of a gaming bag is if you like digging through your stuff to get a cable!
Q3. What can I keep in my gaming bag?
The gaming gear you can store in your bag depends on the pockets it has. But in general, you should be able to fit at least a laptop or console, keyboard, mouse, controller, and their accessories.
A backpack that can’t take these gaming devices might not be worth getting.
Q4. Where can I get a gaming backpack?
Gaming backpacks are sold in supermarkets, popular B2B sites like Amazon, and local stores. They shouldn’t cost more than a few bucks.
Q5. Can I use a gaming backpack for school or work?
Yes, you can use a gaming laptop for other activities. However, the backpack should have at least one compartment where you can stuff your things. A laptop compartment can suffice.
Gaming backpacks make it easy to commute with your gear. The top ones are durable, well-designed, and comfortable to wear for long hours.
There’s no ultimate backpack for casual, professional, and hardcore gamers. If you need a gaming backpack, you’ll have to check for factors that are important to you. Luckily, you are not alone. We’ve also included a buying guide in this article.
Since digging through products isn’t much fun to anyone (especially gamers), we’ve provided a list of the best bags of 2020. Our review covers gaming console backpacks, gaming laptop backpacks, and tactical gaming bags.
Happy gaming and commuting!