Table of Contents
In today’s world of dashing designs, you’ll be surprised at how many different types of backpacks exist. From the large to the small to the colorful and dull, the numbers are inexhaustible. What’s more, is that all these bags serve different functions. Some are great for sports, and some are good for travel. No matter what the purpose is, though, they all have to be durable and reliable. For every heavy-duty backpack, this couldn’t be truer.
Now, a heavy-duty backpack doesn’t have just one purpose. It could function as a hiking bag or a military bag, among others. However, it is generally any type of bag that is tough, reliable, and relatively large.
In this guide, we’ll be writing about heavy-duty backpacks, reviewing, and recommending some along the way. So, sit tight because this is where it gets fun.
Our Top 3 Picks
As we said, we’ll be recommending heavy-duty backpacks for you along the way. But, it’ll still be a hassle trying to decide which is the best. To save you all that unnecessary stress, we’ve narrowed down our backpack recommendations to three. The three best ones you can get in the market are:
1. SHRRADOO Backpack (Best for large size): One of the most appealing things about this backpack is its large size. With 50L of space, there’s really not much of a limitation for your packing.
2. Hannibal Tactical 36L MOLLE Assault Pack (Best for hydration bladder): This military-style backpack is as exciting as it is functional. With a hydration bladder space and off-the-charts durability, this pack might be an excellent fit for you.
3. JCDOBEST Travel Laptop Backpack (Best for security): Our favorite thing about this pick is its security quality. It helps to block RFID signals to prevent criminals from stealing your info digitally.
|Durable 50L Travel Laptop Backpack with USB Charging Port fit 17 Inch Laptops
|Hannibal Tactical 36L MOLLE Assault Backpack, Tactical Backpack Military Army Camping Rucksack, 3-Day Pack Trip w/USA Flag Patch, D-Rings, Black
|Travel Laptop Backpack,17.3 Inch Extra Large Capacity College School Bookbags with USB Charging Port,TSA Friendly Business RFID Anti Theft Pocket,Durable Heavy Duty Big Computer bag Backpack for Men
What are the best heavy-duty backpacks for your use in 2020?
Of course, our top three options offer a lot in terms of quality, among others. In reality, you could make your choice from there and still get a lot of satisfaction. But, every other heavy-duty backpack here has something astounding to offer. Doubtful? Check out our top seven heavy-duty backpacks for your use:
1. Oakley’s Men’s Kitchen Sink Backpack (Best for durability)
The very first heavy-duty backpack on our list is from the Oakley company. Indeed, it is comparatively smaller than some of its counterparts. But, the mere sight of this backpack alone screams toughness and reliability.
As we said, it’s not an extremely big pack. It has a total capacity of about 34L. But, despite its dimensions, it still has enough space to house a 17-inch laptop. Alongside that, the backpack is teeming with multiple organizational compartments. Among others, it has a water bottle pocket/compartment and a front zip compartment.
What’s more, the Oakley’s Men’s Kitchen Sink Backpack has a shoe compartment at the bottom. If you somehow thought that this pack is only useful in the kitchen, think again. The shoe compartment at the bottom effectively makes it a good sports backpack.
Besides all these, the backpack is a combination of polyester and nylon. While the latter might not be ballistic nylon, these two materials are just about the industry’s strongest. They can withstand abrasion and splashes. As such, customers often commend the bag’s reliability and durability. To top it all off, Oakley’s pack has well-padded straps and a back panel for comfort.
Dimensions: 24 x 14 x 8 inches
- Durability and reliability: One of the most notable things about this backpack is how tough it looks. But, according to multiple users online, it goes beyond looking tough. With a polyester and nylon fabric mixture, this water-resistant backpack is perfect for withstanding abrasion and water splashes.
- Comfort: Despite being tough, it is still quite gentle on your body. The shoulder straps are padded and adjustable. That way, you can increase or reduce to your preferred measurements.
- Multifunctional: The toughness of this pack makes it perfect for traveling and hiking. The shoe compartment helps the pack to double down as a sports pack. It can also be used for books in school and travel gear, among others.
- The backpack is tough and durable.
- It can be used for multiple functions.
- It is comfortable for users to carry around.
- It is comparatively smaller than its kind.
- The design doesn’t look as good as it could.
Oakley’s backpack seems to be one of those few that’ll leave you very satisfied without hurting your back. This is the impression we get from multiple users online. We think that it would help if the pack had one or two more liters of space. But, besides that, Oakley’s pack is a great bag.
2. SHRRADOO Backpack (Best for large size)
The brand’s name might be unconventional. But, it doesn’t undermine the qualities of this backpack in any way. The pack does have several interesting and useful features.
The first is its dimensions. At a capacity of 50L, the backpack is easily one of the biggest in the industry. Within that 50L storage capacity, the pack has multiple compartments, including the main compartment, a laptop sleeve, and several areas for books. The laptop sleeve can hold virtually any reasonably sized laptop. This includes 15-inch and 17-inch laptops. Alongside that, this pack has more than 20 pockets for organizing your items neatly.
Outside multiple compartments, the pack also has a sleek design. One would think that the proportions would’ve birthed a big, unpleasant monster, but it didn’t. Customers have reported loving the blend of colors and the pack’s build.
Finally, so we don’t bore you with features, the pack is multifunctional. No matter what you need it for, it’s designed to give you premium satisfaction. This is evident in its ability to open up 180 degrees to help you organize your items better.
Dimensions: 19.5 x 15 x 11 inches
Build Material: Polyester fabric with nylon lining
- Practicality: One of the main appeals of this pack is how it caters to today’s specific needs. In that regard, the pack has a practical design with a USB port for charging your phone. Alongside that, there’s an antitheft feature that allows you to lock your backpack with a password. This provides a significant level of security against people who see nothing wrong in stealing.
- Multiple compartments: Shrradoo has put in a padded laptop pocket/compartment to protect your laptop. Alongside the laptop sleeve within the main compartment, there are 20 different pockets for organizing your items. In the pack, there are three main compartments. Combined, that’s enough space for your books, clothes, stationery, shoes, and every other gear.
- Comfortable and convenient: The pack has a 3D U-shaped design. This is perfect for ventilation and the removal of uncomfortable heat against users’ backs. The pack also has wide, padded shoulder straps that relieve tension from users’ shoulders.
- The backpack is large enough to contain all your items.
- It has a visually appealing design.
- It is durable.
- There are multiple compartments for proper organization.
- Cleaning large/deep stains would be difficult.
When we see this heavy-duty backpack, we can’t help thinking about how techy it looks. Yes, that’s a good thing because the design is attractive. What’s more, is the impressive durability. In our opinion, if you’re looking for something large to serve you in more than one way, this might be it.
3. JCDOBEST Travel Laptop Backpack (Best for security)
The third heavy-duty backpack on our list is from JCDOBEST. In a few ways, it’s similar to SHRRADOO. But, it still sports its peculiarities and appealing features.
One of them is the impressive amount of security on the backpack. It comes in the form of RFID blocking. If you’re not too familiar with the term, RFID means Radio-Frequency Identification. It is a digital tag often used on credit cards, passports, etc.
When an electromagnetic interrogation device triggers it, this tag can spill personal information. Criminals often take advantage of it to get credit card details to run scams. The backpack has a special RFID-blocking compartment. There, you can keep your credit card, driver’s license, etc. without worrying about losing your precious info.
While this is a pretty impressive feature on its own, it’s not all. The pack also has a USB port and an earphone hole. This would be great if you’re the type to move around with your phone often. What’s more is that despite all these, the pack still has a conveniently large capacity of 45L at a reasonable price.
Dimensions: 16 x 10.7 x 5.2 inches
Weight: 2.92 pounds
- Security: There’s a highly-effective RFID compartment in the backpack/bag. It helps to block criminals from accessing your credit card information, among others.
- Practical design: The pack has a USB port and an earphone hole for phone users. Additionally, the pack can unfold into 180 degrees for easy gear arrangement.
- Comfort: The backpack is well-padded. The padded shoulder straps are why this bag can double as a school backpack/travel backpack. But, they’re also wide enough for comfort on your shoulders. Finally, they are adjustable.
- The backpack/bag is very secure.
- The bag/backpack is comfortable to carry around.
- It’ll haul your clothes, shoes, books, and other gear with relative ease.
- It has a visually appealing design with just the right blend of colors.
- It won’t be straightforward to take out deep stains.
The red and black color used to make this pack could use a dash of variety. But, other than that, the pack’s design is loved by many. What we love the most about it is the RFID feature. It isn’t common on all products, but that single feature significantly decreases your chances of getting robbed digitally on a trip. So, if you’re looking for function, fashion, and security, this might be the way to go at a reasonable price.
4. Hannibal Tactical 36L MOLLE Assault Pack (Best for hydration bladder)
In the kingdom of heavy-duty packs/backpacks, this is one product that has a pretty good chance of taking the crown. It was created specially for military personnel. As such, there’s little you can’t get from Hannibal’s MOLLE tactical backpack/bag. Wondering what we mean?
Well, the Hannibal Tactical MOLLE Assault Pack has a standard 36L capacity. With its 600×600 fabric density, this assault pack can withstand water splashes and other “hardships.” In other words, it’s very durable.
Beyond these, this MOLLE assault pack also has multiple compartments. Within these compartments, some pockets aid proper organization.
Finally, the MOLLE pack has a 3L hydration reservoir. This is a unique characteristic that helps military men and women store water to drink conveniently on long trips.
Dimensions: 13 x 12 x 20 inches
Weight: 3.2 lbs
- Durability: This military-style heavy-duty backpack/bag is made of 600D polyester. While it’s not ballistic nylon fabric, this fabric can withstand abrasions, splashes, and much more without hurting your back.
- Multifunctional: While you might not be military personnel, the tactical MOLLE pack has many applications. They include hunting, trekking, survival, etc.
- Hydration bladder: Among other pockets and spaces in the main compartment, there’s space for a 3l hydration bladder to help you quench thirsts on rigorous outdoor multi-day trips.
- There’s a hydration bladder space to help quench your thirst.
- The pack can function in more ways than one.
- There’s a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- The backpack/bag looks boxy, making that part of the design a grey area for users.
Nothing makes you feel like a proud soldier of your country like this backpack. Even those who have never held assault rifles enjoy the feeling of carrying this backpack. However, we do wish that the satisfaction guarantee was a lifetime warranty instead.
That way, the price looks even cheaper, and you can confidently go on your adventure. We also imagine that these Hannibal packs could be better designed, something more visually appealing with/without a different blend of colors. But, the design doesn’t affect its functionality. That’s what matters.
5. LTINVECK Extra Large Travel Laptop Backpack (Best for TSA-friendliness)
This heavy-duty backpack is a TSA-friendly extra-large pack by LTINVECK (TSA stands for Transport Security Administration). Their primary purpose is defined in their name. To fulfill that purpose, they carry out such actions as checking belongings at the airport.
This backpack is TSA-friendly because it easily opens up to 180-degrees. That way, you can quickly show the content in the storage space within your pack and get past airport security with your laptop and other luggage in one piece. What’s more is that the backpack has several pockets, even on the outside. This also aids the TSA-friendliness. But, beyond that, it provides a means of proper item organization.
Finally, the LTINVECK backpack is highly durable with its high-density polyester material.
Dimensions: 19.0 x 14.6 x 10.2 inches
- Breathable and comfortable: The pack has an air mesh back panel that helps to expel heat. In addition to that, the panel and the compression straps are well-padded to guarantee comfort on your body.
- Durable: As a heavy-duty backpack should, this pack is made of high-quality polyester materials. Also, it has 2-way water-resistant zippers.
- TSA-friendly: The backpack unfolds into 180 degrees. There are different easy-access pockets with zippers on the outside. These help to fish out passports, visas, and everything else ASAP.
- Multiple compartments: Alongside the main compartment, it has over 20 individual pockets.
- It is very TSA-friendly.
- It’s significantly large enough to hold your books, clothes, shoes, and other gear.
- It is made of highly durable.
- There’s not a lot of provision for security.
With over 20 individual pockets/side pockets for your water bottle inside and outside the main compartment, this pack makes a good name for itself. Additionally, it can boast of durability and comfort for your body with its padded back panel, among others. In our opinion, getting this pack isn’t so bad, especially considering the cost/price. After all, not all backpacks can easily boast of these features.
6. High Sierra Loop Backpack (Best for dedicated tech spot)
Our penultimate heavy-duty backpack treads on lighter grounds with a 33l capacity. The backpack has several impressive features. They include padded back panels and shoulder straps. Besides that, there are several easy-access pockets for organization. Beyond all these, the unique thing is its dedicated tech spot. In that area, you can store your laptop and your tablet safely. They’re well-padded and protected during rough trips. This isn’t very common in all backpacks.
Dimensions: 19.0 x 13.5 x 8.5
Weight: 2.04 lbs
- Easy to carry: The shoulder straps are S-shaped. This curve prevents them from squeezing uncomfortably around your neck. Additionally, the straps and the back panel are well-padded.
- Sizable organization space: The backpack has a spot to keep virtually everything, including your keys.
- Dedicated tech spot: There’s a specific place where you can keep your laptop and tablet.
- There’s a dedicated tech spot that provides safety and convenience.
- The backpack is easy to move around with.
- It helps you organize your stuff easily.
- It’s not water-resistant.
- There’s little security on the pack.
Its simplicity defines the High Sierra Loop Backpack. Even the colors hardly experiment on the wild side – unambiguous yet functional. If this is what you’re looking for, you can go for this pack. However, you’ll need to get a rain cover because the pack isn’t water-resistant. That way, your laptop compartment/laptop sleeve is safe from water. This is important for all backpacks that aren’t water-resistant.
7. Sosoon Laptop Backpack (Best multifunctional backpack)
Our final heavy-duty backpack comes from Sosoon. This brand has continuously stated its desire to create multifunctional backpacks. As such, it shouldn’t be too surprising that this pack serves multiple functions. It can act as a college backpack, high school bag, laptop backpack/bag, etc.
To help support its multifunctional intent, the backpack is made of durable polyester. This material is often very water-resistant, scratch-resistant, and can easily increase the lifespan of your (laptop) backpack while hauling your laptop. Finally, it is TSA-friendly.
Dimensions: 14.57 x 9.84 x 19.2 inches
- Multifunctional: The backpack can easily serve you in school, at work, while hiking, on a trip as a travel backpack, etc.
- TSA-friendly: Like most other TSA-friendly backpacks, it can open to 180 degrees and has multiple easy-access pockets to quicken the airport security process.
- It is multifunctional and can act as a laptop backpack, among other things.
- It saves you time at airport security.
- The backpack isn’t as secure as some other backpacks.
Sosoon’s position at number 7 on our list doesn’t make it the worst. All things considered, this is still a great (laptop) backpack.
Things to look out for before you buy a heavy-duty backpack
While searching for a (laptop) backpack, you can’t buy the first thing you see on the Amazon website unless you want to keep using mediocre backpacks. You need to buff up your purchase decision with some knowledge first to get the right backpack. So, here’s what to look out for before hitting the “buy” button.
1. Water-resistant material
Your backpack doesn’t necessarily need to be made of completely water-resistant materials, and it can’t be completely weather-resistant. However, the material should have a level of water resistance. That way, when it gets splashed by mother nature, everything within, including your laptops and books, are still safe. Alternatively, you could get a rain cover if you can’t purchase any water-resistant (laptop) backpacks. The rain cover would specifically help protect the laptop compartment/laptop sleeve.
Your backpack should have some form of security. Think of it as your house. You wouldn’t leave the door unlocked all summer, would you? Well, the same goes for your backpack. At the very least, it should have lockable zippers, anti-theft pockets, or RFID blockers.
3. Multiple compartments
Your backpack can’t just have one gaping hole and nothing else. If it does, you might as well just carry a plastic bag or something. So, ensure your backpack has multiple compartments. These should be of different sizes with zip pockets, a media pocket/compartment, and even a side access tablet pocket/compartment if possible. They’ll help you to organize your clothes, shoes, books, accessories, laptops, and other belongings/items/ travel gear.
4. Internal frame
This is especially important for hiking backpacks as it can help absorb shock. Besides, your backpack should be strong enough to haul gear and stand on its own, despite stress points. The only way for that to happen is with an internal frame. Get a backpack that has one. As a side note, a waist strap, sternum strap, and side compression straps would also help maintain stability while carrying the pack on your back.
This is one of the most important things to look out for in your backpack for hauling your gear. It determines whether it’ll be a comfortable pack or just something that makes you miserable while carrying it on your back. So, make sure that your waist strap, shoulder straps, hip belt/waist belt, and back panels are well padded.
Q1: How heavy is too heavy for a backpack?
The answer to this question depends largely on the individual. A 180-pound man can clearly carry more gear in a backpack than a 120-pound man. At least, as long as the former has no health issues where he’ll need to carry less. However, your backpack should generally not be more than about 20% of your total weight. In addition to that, you should have balance mechanisms like a sternum strap or side compression straps. That way, your back isn’t badly affected.
Q2: Which is better between suitcases and heavy-duty backpacks?
They each serve their functions at different points. But, it’s noteworthy that a suitcase is nearly useless on a hiking trip where you need to move with a lot of gear. Backpacks provide a certain level of mobility suitcases can’t always match. This stems from their ability to get attached to your back easily.
Q3: What’s the perfect backpack size?
There’s no figure to this question. But, the perfect size is the one that can conveniently accommodate your gear without putting a harmful strain on you in terms of weight.
A heavy-duty backpack, regardless of the color options or cost/price, is useful for several reasons. What’s more is that they have excellent qualities, two of which are their durability and the comfortable waist belt.
But, you can’t get to enjoy any of that if you don’t know the backpack to get. It’s just no use. In this article, we’ve solved that problem. All that’s left now is to merely make the purchase you need and rock your bag in your city.