Children love wearing or rolling their backpacks. It gives them the chance to carry their prized possessions themselves, and as a loving parent, you just have to give in to their demands for a colorful bag. However, there’s one essential question to answer before going shopping: what size of the backpack for kindergarten should I get?
Continue reading to discover the right backpack size for your kindergartner and why you need to consider this factor. But first, let’s find out if kindergartners really need backpacks.
Do kindergarten kids absolutely need backpacks?
Yes. Once your kids get into kindergarten, you should invest in a quality backpack that they’ll use to carry their lunch boxes, homework, water bottles, and toys. Moreover, your child must have seen you or other kids with backpacks. Fueled by a desire to emulate you or these kids, they’ll definitely want one for themselves.
Therefore, getting a backpack for a kindergartner not only boosts their self-confidence but also helps them carry their things to school or other places. At this age, rolling backpacks might be too heavy to use. So, what size of the backpack for kindergarten should you get?
Finding the right backpack size for kindergarten
First, you need to take measurements from your child, and then find a backpack that fits their back.
Two things you should pay attention to when determining backpack sizes are
- The height of your kids back
- The width of your kindergartener
The height: Measure the distance between the shoulder line and waistline of your child before you go shopping for backpacks. While the shoulder line is midway between the neck and shoulder tip, you can find the waistline around the hip bone. Backpack straps lie on the shoulder line and sit at the waistline.
To be sure that a full-size school backpack will fit your kid’s back, add two inches to this height.
The width: There are several ways to find the width of your child. However, the proper way is to measure around the ridges of their shoulder blades. Again, it’s fine to add one or two inches to this measurement.
Getting these measurements should be a walk in the park. However, use the table below if you don’t have the tools to get it done, or your child can’t sit still. The values included are the maximum for children within kinder
Average child back sizes for backpacks
|Age (years)||Height (inches)||Width (inches)|
In a nutshell, if you find that your child’s back measures 12 inches in height and 6 inches in weight, then that’s the size of the backpack you should get.
What can go wrong when you get the wrong size of a backpack for your kindergartner?
The alternative to using the chart or measuring your child is to guess a size that you think will fit your kid. However, many things can go wrong when you use this method, irrespective of how calculative prowess:
1. Back pain: This is one of the leading problems that occur when kindergartners don’t wear the right school backpack sizes. Compounded by the effects of an overpacked bag, medical studies have shown this problem can increase the force on the spine and cause muscle strain.
Therefore, we recommend that you:
- Get the right size of a backpack for your child
- Pack light
- Help them organize their things
2. Rounded shoulders: This problem occurs when you don’t measure the width of your child’s back correctly and get an oversized backpack. The first sign of rounded shoulders happens when your child starts leaning forward.
3. Neck and shoulder pains: As we mentioned earlier, backpack problems among kindergartners are heightened when their bags are heavy. To nip the chances of overpacking in the bud, we recommend finding what size of the backpack for kindergarten best fits your little one.
Neck pains could be excruciating to kids.
Other things to consider when getting a backpack for your kindergarten
While backpack sizes are important, they aren’t the only things you should consider before you get a bag for your child. Here are other equally essential factors:
1. Capacity: The capacity of a backpack determines the things your kid can put in it. Generally, kindergartners shouldn’t carry backpacks that can take more than 15% of their body weight. This places the average school backpack size at 22 liters for kindergartners.
2. Construction: Another thing you should pay attention to is the backpack’s quality and construction.
Children drop things and aren’t the most meticulous bunch. Therefore, a backpack that is made from top-notch materials will save you from buying a new bag yearly.
3. Organizational features and comfort: Asides what it can take, an ergonomic backpack should be comfortable for your kid to wear all day. For example, those with back pads and waist belts are some of the most convenient for kindergartners.
It should also enforce your kindergartner to be neat and organized.
4. Design and color: This is a no-brainer and definitely what matters the most to children. However, don’t invest in something that your kid would lose interest in. For starters, your kid would likely fancy brightly colored backpacks with cartoon characters. But to be double sure, you can bring them along when you go shopping. That way, you can also check what size of the backpack for kindergarten to get.
Kindergarten is the beginning of many adventures for children, and packing your kiddo right is one of the best things of the back-to-school season.
In this article, we’ve answered your question on ‘what size of the backpack for kindergarten should I get’. We’ve also explained other things to consider and the dangers of not nailing the right backpack size for your kindergartner.
Go on and get a perfect-sized backpack that’ll make your little one look adorable.
10 Best Backpacks for High School Girls That Are Looking to Make an Impression
Looking for the best backpacks for high school girls? We've reviewed the top affordable bags that'll suit your style, and you'll be confident rocking.
Messenger Bags for Schoolgirls Reviews: How to Select the Best Messenger Bag for Girls?
One-strap bags are now very popular among school girls. Check out this review of the 3 best messenger bags for your schoolgirl available in the market.
What are the Best Rated Small Backpacks for Kids?
Your kids deserve only the best for school. Check out our review of the best-rated small backpacks for kids to use in 2020.
How to Select Backpacks for Preschoolers?
You can't haul your kid's belongings forever. Check our review of the 5 best small backpacks for preschoolers to help you pick the right one for him/her.
Looking for The Best Backpacks for Grad School?
Best backpacks for grad school - Looking for a backpack to carry your essentials at grad school? Check out our list of top picks.
What are the Best Rucksack Backpacks for Girls?
Girls love rucksack backpacks. Perhaps, yours do too? Check out this review of the 3 best rucksack backpacks for girls in 2020.