Backpacks have become an all-important carry-on to have. For men, a great backpack can help keep your gear stashed throughout the day and can come in handy with hands-free commuting. But what are the best backpacks for men that are affordable, comfortable and spacious?
In this article, we’ll uncover the best men’s fashion backpacks for different purposes. First, here are the three top-tier bags:
Backpacks: Our Top 3 Picks for your bag
- Adidas Stadium II Backpack (Best overall backpack for men): This backpack tops many backpack charts. It has a decent capacity, offers comfort, and comes at an affordable price.
- Under Armour Hustle 3.0 Backpack (Best backpack for capacity): When it comes bags for packing several things, the Hustle 3.0 is our best pick. It looks sleek and is made from durable polyester fabric.
- Jansport Superbreak Classic Backpack (Best lightweight backpack for men): Manufactured by a top brand, this backpack is super-light, durable, comfortable to wear, and downright quality. You can use it as a work, school, or everyday bag.
|Adidas Stadium II Backpack (Best overall backpack for men): Adidas Unisex Striker II Team Backpack, Team Maroon, ONE SIZE||Prime||Buy Now|
|Under Armour Hustle 3.0 Backpack (Best backpack for capacity):Under Armour Adult Team Hustle 3.0 Backpack , Black (001)/Silver , One Size Fits All||Prime||Buy Now|
|Jansport Superbreak Classic Backpack (Best lightweight backpack for men):lassic School Bag, Purple Dawn Butterfly Kisses||Prime||Buy Now|
Top backpacks for men: A closer look
Here are the top men’s backpacks you can get on Amazon:
1. Fjallraven Kanken Classic Backpack (Best backpack for material quality)
The first unit to set the ball rolling is this versatile backpack from a Swedish brand. The minimalistic design of the Kanken Classic fits virtually every use, and according to its manufacturer, it is best suited for school, work, short trips, and trekking.
This straight bag has fluorocarbon-free impregnation and can be worn by both men and women.
Dimensions: 14.96 x 10.6 x 5.1 inches
Material: Vinylon F: 100% vinylal, polypropylene webbing
Weight: 10.58 oz
Capacity: 16 liters
1. Quality fabric: Rather than polyester or vinyl, this backpack is made from Vinylon F, a versatile and durable fabric. What makes it unique is that it’s dirt and water-resistant.
2. Two-way zipper: On the perimeter of this backpack’s main compartment, you’ll notice two zippers. This closure and its tough material make it easier to get to your belongings than with a regular backpack.
There is a rain flap over every zipper on the bag to prevent water permeation.
3. Ample storage: The Fjallraven Kanken Classic Backpack has decent storage compartments for your needs. It sports a main zippered compartment for essentials and a front zippered pocket for small items. On the sides, there are two open pockets for water bottles and even snacks.
4. Comfortable design: The shoulder straps on this backpack are ergonomically designed for long-distance journeys. Furthermore, you can snap the top handles, depending on how you want to carry the bag.
In the back pocket, this bag is padded to prevent your things from poking your back. The logo on the front of the backpack is entirely reflective.
- Simple and versatile.
- Offers loads of interior pockets.
- Super light.
- The shoulder straps are difficult to adjust.
The Fjallraven Kanken Classic Backpack’s durability is its most notable feature. We like that its Vinylon F fabric prevents staining and is both dirt and waterproof. You’ll also find the bag has more compartments than it looks to have.
On the downside, we think the bag’s material feels inexpensive. The shoulder straps are also tricky to adjust. This can make the backpack seem heavy. However, we think its overall style is quite impressive.
Many users like the Fjallraven Kanken Classic for its simplicity and suitability for different purposes. That’s the reason it has made this list of the best backpacks.
2. Herschel Supply Co. Little America Flapover Travel Backpack (Best backpack for men for travel)
If you’re big on backpack looks, we recommend considering this bag before you get the first backpack you see in the market. It is available in 60 color options, all of which are designed to suit men’s different personalities.
The Little America can fit a 15-inch laptop and is designed to carry gear for almost every activity.
Dimensions: 19.25 x 11.25 x 7 inches
Material: Polyester and canvas
Capacity: 25 liters
1. Durable material: This backpack isn’t made from one material, as it uses two to its advantage. On the exterior, it features the classic Herschel canvas. Its insides are also lined with polyester. This makes it water-resistant.
2. Padded shoulder straps: Most backpacks come with shoulder-strap paddings. However, Herschel tends to add a little more comfort than its competition.
When worn, the backpack’s adjustable shoulder straps make carrying your gear for long hours easy.
3. Drawstring and Snap Closure: The main compartment closes via drawstring and magnetic snap. This allows you to quickly store and remove items. For extra protection, this bag has a flap over its top.
4. Exterior Pocket with Hidden Zippers: If you prefer to keep your valuables in a location where you can quickly get to them, you’ll likely find this backpack’s exterior pocket useful. It features anti-theft zippers with a clip.
- Easy to carry heavy loads.
- Convenient for outdoor activities
- Comfortable to use.
- Faux straps are tricky to use.
This Herschel bag is designed to carry heavy loads throughout the day. Therefore, you can totally use it as a travel backpack. We think the canvas on the exterior is incredibly durable, and the lining in the laptop sleeve provides an extra layer of protection.
Though the faux straps on the bag help to add to its aesthetic, we think they are challenging to work around. There are also few zip pockets for storing small items, especially in the main compartment.
If you’re in for a functional, well-designed backpack, then you should consider the Herschel Little America backpack.
3. Puma Men’s Evercat Contender 3.0 Backpack (Best backpack for comfort)
Puma is an established brand for top-notch products, and this backpack is no different. Made with the everyday person in mind, it has a unique unisex design that looks as great as it feels. There are over 12 color options if you decide that this is the best backpack for men to purchase.
Dimensions: 19 x 13 x 6 inches
Material: Polyester exterior and lining
Weight: 18.8 oz
Capacity: 20 liters
1. Zipper closure: To ensure all of your belongings are safe and secure for your travels, every pocket and compartment in this bag has a zipper closure. It is easy to use.
2. Multiple storage options: The Puma Evercat Contender 3.0 comes with many pockets and compartments. It has a 16-inch laptop sleeve and many exterior pockets.
3. Padded shoulder straps: This backpack for men features padded and adjustable shoulder straps for comfort. With it, you can easily achieve a good fit.
4. Cool design: Overall, this bag is one of the sleekest everyday bags on this list of men’s best backpacks. It doesn’t bulge out even when fully packed.
- Has a large capacity.
- Has wide shoulder straps.
- Comfortably padded.
- Fragile zippers.
At first glance, you may think the Puma Men’s Evercat Contender 3.0 Backpack is not big enough to hold your gear.
However, it sure is!
With its multiple pockets and a large main compartment, you can store anything from an extra pair of clothes to books and work materials. We also love the width of the straps. This allows for better weight distribution.
On the flip side, we were disappointed with the material used to create this Puma bag. According to recent customers, the zippers don’t hold up for long, either.
Overall, if you’re a Puma loyalist and love fashion, you should check this stylish backpack for men.
4. The North Face Jester Backpack (Best hiking backpack for men)
The North Face is a renowned brand for reliable and durable backpacks, and the Jester is one of such backpacks. It has a decent capacity for your gear and is one to buy if you need a trendy backpack.
The Jester can fit a 15-inch laptop conveniently.
Dimensions: 11 X 8.25 X 18.13 inches
Material: 600D polyester
Weight: 26 oz
Capacity: 27.5 liters
1. 360-Degree Reflectivity: Safety is one of the primary features this bag has to offer. This makes it a great travel backpack and nice match for commuters and cyclists. It has a bike-light loop, reflective water bottle tabs, and reflective bands on the shoulder straps.
2. FlexVent suspension system: The shoulder straps are far more than just padded, as they feature the FlexVent suspension system. There is a built-in flexible yoke made from the injection-molded straps. This feature helps to take the weight of your gear off your shoulders.
3. Padded mesh back panel: The rear panel features a decent amount of padding for lumbar support. Also, as it has a mesh cover, the Jester is incredibly breathable.
4. Ample storage capacity: Like many backpacks for men, the Jester has many options for your things. The main compartment is fantastic for your gear, and this backpack has a padded laptop sleeve.
In the front compartment, there is an extra-padded tablet sleeve and secure zippered pockets. The Jester’s design also includes two side pockets and an external bungee system for storing items.
- Incredibly comfortable.
- Functional and stylish.
- Easily protects valuables.
- Has an average weight distribution.
- Doesn’t have a flat bottom.
The North Face Jester bag looks and feels great, and this becomes more evident when you put it up against other backpacks. It has a classical appeal of a luxurious hiking bag.
The only hitch we have with this backpack is that it falls over when you put it on the ground. However, there’s no taking away the fact that this is one of the best backpacks for men to buy.
5. Osprey Packs Daylite Plus Daypack (Best everyday carry work backpack for men)
Mid-way through our list, we have a sleek backpack from a brand that needs little introduction – Osprey. Originally designed as a daypack for hiking and other outdoor activities, the Daylite Plus is one of the most functional travel bags on this list. It has top-notch features for packing your gear.
Dimensions:18 x 10 x 9 inches
Material: 210D Nylon double diamond ripstop/ 400HD nylon packcloth
Weight: 16 oz
1. Cool design: This design makes carrying the large front panel and accessing the main compartment easy. Closing the compartments is also easy.
2. Dual-stretch side pockets: This backpack comes with two side pockets designed for water bottles and umbrellas. The mesh elasticity provides more space for other things like an extra pair of shoes or snacks.
It also has a front shove-it pocket for small items that you might need.
3. Multi-function interior sleeve: There’s an interior laptop sleeve in the main space. The Daylite Plus design allows you to also use it as a separate storage place for items you need to keep away from the main compartment. It can also be removed, depending on your preference.
4. Mesh-covered back panel: The Daylite Plus has a soft back made from die-cut foam panel. Asides this, the entire back of this backpack is covered in mesh. Together, these features make the unit breathability.
- Has lots of interior pockets.
- Comfortable for day trips.
- Has fantastic weight distribution.
- Narrow shoulder straps.
The Osprey Packs Daylite Plus daypack is roomy and well-designed. Thanks to its impeccable weight distribution, you can easily carry this bag for hours on end.
We discovered that you may find adjusting the backpack to sit tricky if you have broad shoulders. This issue may not happen to every wearer, and we recommend you look at the Daylite Plus if you want a convenient backpack for every activity.
6. ZOMAKE Lightweight Backpack (Best budget backpack for men)
Next on this list is the ZOMAKE lightweight backpack. It comes in stunning options to match athletic teams or keep you visible when hiking outdoors. Like other units we’ve found to be the best backpacks for men, this bag can hold a large outdoor gear and is comfortable to wear.
Here are the top specifications of this backpack.
Dimensions: 19.3 x 13.4 x 7 inches
Weight: 7.8 oz
Capacity: 30 liters
1. Foldable Design: Asides from being lightweight, you can fold this backpack completely. Subsequently, you can pack it inside your luggage or keep it in another carry-on bag for convenience.
2. Large Capacity: Compared to other backpacks in the market, the Zomake packable bag has substantial interior compartments. There are two zippered pockets on the front, two side pockets, and a laptop sleeve in the bag.
3. Durable Material: This backpack for men is made from double-layered materials that are thick and sturdy. It also features a thick coat of waterproofing to secure your gear.
- Durable and sturdy.
- This backpack is comfortable to carry.
- Prone to tearing.
Functionality is undoubtedly the spark-idea behind the design of the Zomake backpack. Perfect for travel, we figure that you can comfortably carry your essentials and daily gear in it. We also like the idea that you can fold it and our top feature is its design.
The only issue we have with this backpack is its high quality. In the sun, it may lose its color, and the thinness of the material could make it tear easily.
Overall, the functionality of the bag is quite impressive. If you need the best backpack for men, then we think you should consider this unit.
It has made this list as our best affordable backpack for men.
7. Jansport Superbreak Classic Backpack (Best men’s lightweight backpack and laptop backpack)
Jansport is undoubtedly one of the most popular bag brands in the world and the SuperBreak is one of its top backpacks for everyday use. It comes in 30 cool color options and sports high-quality features you would expect in the best backpack for men.
Dimensions: 16.7 x 13 x 8.5 inches
Material: 600D Polyester
Weight: 12 oz
Capacity: 26 liters
1. Ultralight: On its own, the backpack weighs only 12 ounces, thanks to its 600D polyester fabric and thoughtful design.
2. Utility pocket: The most exciting storage compartment in the SuperBreak Classic Backpack is its front utility pocket. In it, there is an organizer for you to store pens, and other small valuables. Therefore, finding accessible storage with this bag should be incredibly simple.
3. Built-in haul handle: If you’d rather hold your work or school backpacks than wear it, then you should find the SuperBreak useful. There’s a versatile grip on the top for easy carrying.
4. Comfortable design: There’s 2/3 extra padding on the back of this bag and much of the same in its shoulder straps.
- Made of high-quality fabric.
- Easy to keep clean and washing machine-safe.
- Doesn’t have a laptop sleeve.
From our research on what recent customers have to say, this backpack can last for years without developing faults. We think it is pretty comfortable with enough compartments for your daily gear.
The SuperBreak is undoubtedly one of the best backpacks for men. If you want to purchase an affordable backpack with top-notch features, we doubt you may find a better unit than this bag.
It is one of the best designer backpacks to get.
8. NIKE Brasilia Backpack (Best backpack for design)
Nike is a household name for high-quality clothing and footwear. The manufacturer’s backpack has made this list as the best men’s backpack in the market for its design.
Although the bag comes in different sizes, the extra-large size is the unit we’re reviewing. It can double as a work and commuting backpack.
Dimensions: 20 x 13 x 7 inches
Material: 100% polyester
Weights: 17.4 oz
Capacity: 25 liters
1. Numerous color options: This backpack is ideal for men who need to control the look of their bag. There are seven different colors you can choose from.
2. Spacious internal compartment: The NIKE Brasilia backpack is roomy enough for the gear men need to get by each day. The main compartment is the most notable place to keep all of your belongings.
3. Built-in laptop sleeve: The backpack has a laptop sleeve for you to move around with your gadgets. This sleeve is padded for safe use.
4. Padded back: With its padded back panel, you shouldn’t feel your gear’s weight if you decide to purchase this backpack. The additional comfort helps to create a seamless and uniform feel for long hours.
- Great for sports.
- Easy to wash.
- Durable and stylish.
- Has small shoulder straps.
We really like this backpack for many reasons. For one, its in-built laptop sleeve and padded shoulder straps make it quite convenient for men to use. It’s also perfect for men who don’t want many features and are searching for something simple.
If you need a reliable backpack from a leading brand, we recommend taking a look at the NIKE Brasilia and all it has to offer. It is one of the top stylish backpacks to get.
9. Under Armour Hustle 3.0 Backpack (Best backpack for capacity)
Known for their superior athletic products, Under Armour also makes backpacks for various purposes. The Hustle 3.0 is no different, as it’s designed for athletes, people in business, and even students.
It has a soft-lined laptop sleeve that should fit a 15-inch MacBook Pro or any laptop with a similar size.
Dimensions: 13.6 x 9.3 x 18.9 inches
Material: 100% polyester
Weight: 23.2 oz
Capacity: 30 liters
1. UA Storm Technology: As a patent from Under Armour, the UA Storm technology reinforces this backpack with a highly water-resistant finish. This means you can wear this backpack confidently in any weather.
2. Tough backpack panel: At the bottom of the backpack, the Under Armour Hustle 3.0 has paddings covered by a heavy-duty material. This feature is the abrasion-resistant bottom
3. Water-repellant pockets: The Under Armour Hustle 3.0 Backpack has individual valuables pocket. Coated with water-repellent materials, the pockets make the backpack suitable for keeping your gear in rainy seasons.
4. HeatGear Shoulder Straps: The HeatGear shoulder straps prevent your shoulders from getting too hot in warm weather. This feature also helps to stop chafing and discomfort if you’re carrying your backpack in the summer.
- Ideal for sports equipment.
- Comfortable to wear for long hours.
- Doesn’t sit flat and falls often.
We had high hopes for this backpack, and the Under Armour Hustle 3.0 lived up to our expectations.
It has a large enough capacity for men to fit their almost every gear easily. Thanks to its numerous pockets and compartments, organizing things should also be easy with the unit. However, what would make the bag even more convenient is if it was stain resistant and stood up on its own.
The Under Armour Hustle 3.0 is one of the best travel backpacks. If you don’t know how to pack light and need a large-capacity unit, we suggest looking at this backpack when you decide to get one.
10. Adidas Stadium II Backpack (Best overall backpack for men)
The final backpack on this list is also from a well-known brand. The Adidas Stadium II backpack is an all-around, versatile unit. If you’re in the market for a bag with many storage options, this is one of the best to choose from.
As a backpack for almost every type of wearer, it has virtually everything you need and more. The Adidas Stadium II is often used as a sports bag by men and can fit two tennis rackets or a size-five soccer ball.
Dimensions: 20 x 12 x 9.5 inches.
Material: 100% polyester
Weight: 23.98 oz
Capacity: 27 liters
1. Zippered Closures: All exterior pockets, aside from the water bottle pockets, are crafted with zippers. This feature is ideal for keeping all of your belongings safe and secure.
2. External Ball Pocket: At the front of the backpack, there’s a large flexible mesh compartment. This pocket is great for keeping a soccer ball or football in your bag. You can also use it to store dirty gym equipment or your workout shoes.
3. Tricot Lined Pocket: Separate pockets are great for keeping your gear secure. In this backpack, there’s a tricot-lined pocket that is soft and padded. It’s a great place to store your phone, or small-sized electronics.
4. Water-resistant: The Adidas Stadium II Backpack is built with keen attention to detail, even on the bag’s bottom. It features water-resistant materials that make it more safe to leave on the ground, whether you’re outside or inside.
- This backpack has a versatile design.
- Stitching isn’t the best.
- Stiff material.
Adidas Stadium II is an excellent backpack for almost every personality, especially if you need many compartments to keep yourself organized. Our research found that it is one of the top recommendations for men who need a bag to carry all of their sports equipment. Well, we believe the interior of the bag could be improved on.
Adidas has tweaked many things to arrive at this model. For example, the interior pockets are larger than other backpacks in its series for it to fit more items.
Unlike other backpacks, when you put the Adidas Stadium II on the ground, we found that it stands upright. Not only is this bag designed for sports, but it also has a high versatile appeal for everyday use. Be sure to take a look at the Adidas Stadium II if you want to get the best backpack.
What to Look for in a Backpack for Men?
There are several features to keep an eye on when you begin your hunt for the perfect backpack. For example, you’ll not only need something that can carry your essentials but a backpack that’s also comfortable.
Here are the most common features a top-tier backpack should have, so you can ensure you’re investing your money wisely.
1. Ergonomic Features
When a backpack has a design that focuses on the user’s safety, you should expect that it’s of a high standard. These features may include a padded back panel or adjustable shoulder straps.
Ergonomics are especially crucial for people who carry a lot of items with them, as you won’t want to suffer from a back injury as a result of a poorly made backpack.
One of the most popular features customers looks for in a high quality backpack is the number of pockets they can put to good use. You’ll need access to the main compartment to keep textbooks, an extra pair of clothes, or any other large items. It’s also useful to have numerous smaller pockets at your disposal, if it’s essential to you.
Most backpacks have at least three leading storage solutions: the main compartment and two mesh pockets on the exterior. If you’re a highly organized person, you should find a backpack with an interior sleeve and many pockets.
3. Weather Resistance
It can be challenging to predict if you’ll be stuck in the rain or snow, especially if you’re someone who spends a lot of time outdoors. Whether you’re playing sports or commuting to and from work, you need a bag with optimal weather resistance. Without this, you’d be putting your valuables and belongings in a position to where they can get damaged easily.
We recommend finding a backpack with a waterproof coating or water-resistant materials if this factor is important to you.
Backpacks are one of the most important things you have on you daily. Therefore, you should consider getting one that is designed to last years of regular wear.
High quality backpacks are typically the most expensive, as they use durable materials during the manufacturing process.
Durability can be seen in numerous ways, whether it’s double stitching around the shoulder straps or a double-layered bottom to prevent tearing when your bag is on the ground.
You can even find backpacks that are entirely abrasion-resistant, so they’ll look brand new for years. Also, consider finding a bag that can easily be wiped down if it gets dirty, if you’re big on carrying a spotless bag.
When you begin shopping for the best work backpacks, you’ll find that backpacks are classified by the amount of stuff they can hold. This is their capacities, and it is measured in liters. For example, there are 15L and 30L backpacks.
For commuting, you would likely require a smaller capacity-backpack than an athlete who needs to carry his sports gear.
Another important thing to remember with the capacity of your backpack is that it shouldn’t be too large. The more unused space you have, the easier it will be to get disorganized when you begin putting things in your bag.
FAQs on the best backpacks for men
Q1. What is the most durable backpack brand?
Fjallraven is our most durable backpack brand.
Q2. What size of backpack do I need?
The backpack size you need depends on what you want to carry with the bag. However, getting a medium-size backpack should be a safe bet.
Q3. What is the coolest backpack?
Our coolest backpack is the Nike Brasilia backpack.
Q4. Why do guys wear backpacks?
Guys wear backpacks to pack their gear, work files, or school stuff. They put less strain on their body parts and are one of the best accessories to match a good outfit.
Q5. What is the best quality backpack?
Our best quality backpack is the Fjallraven Kanken Classic backpack.
Q6. What is the best heavy-duty backpack?
Our best heavy-duty backpack is the Under Armour Hustle 3.0 backpack.
Q7. What is the best backpack for everyday use?
The Adidas Stadium II is our best backpack for virtually every daily activity. It also doubles as the best overall backpack for men that you can purchase on Amazon.
Q8. What is the best material for a backpack?
Polyester and nylon are two of the best materials used in making backpacks.
With our reviews and buying guide of the top backpacks, we’ve saved you the trouble of digging through Amazon for the perfect bag.
First, figure out why you want a backpack for, then let this article guide you on the best one for your needs. We’re confident you’ll find the best backpacks for men in this guide.
7 of The Best Backpacks with Water Bottle Holders – 2020
Backpacks with water bottle holders are slightly underrated. How? Here's everything you should know about them and Best Backpacks with Water Bottle Holders.
7 Backpacks That Are Good For Your Back
It is common to ignore health related features when getting a new backpack. So, here's our advise on how to pick a backpack that is good for your back.
7 Best Backpacks with Lots of Pockets and Compartments
Need a backpack with lots of pockets and compartments? We've made a list of the 7 best multi-compartment backpacks available in the market.
7 Best Waterproof Backpacks for Rainy-Day Adventures: Reviews & Buying Guide
Waterproof backpacks can save the day. We've detailed the best waterproof backpacks for different needs and a guide to buy one.
7 Best Tactical Military Mid-Size Backpacks by Something Strong [UPDATED 2020]
Looking for a tactical military mid-size backpack by something strong? Here are our reviews of the best seven available in the market.