Gone are the days when tactical military backpacks were specially made for veterans and active-duty soldiers. You can now get one for outdoor activities like hiking, camping, cycling, and when you want to carry many items at once. But since you’re here, you’re probably looking for an affordable tactical military mid-size backpack by something strong.
Spotting a mid-size tactical military backpack from a bunch of regular bags is easy. But getting the best one can be tough work if you’re a newbie because there are loads of them in the market.
To remove the guesswork from shopping, we’ve listed the best military backpacks and given an in-depth review of each one. Here are our top three:
Our top 3 picks
- 5.11 Tactical RUSH24 Military Backpack (Best overall): This backpack is lightweight, durable, and made from quality 1050D nylon. Thanks to its roomy compartments, you can easily pack your gear in it.
- Direct Action Dragon Egg MK II Tactical Backpack (Best for comfort): This backpack has top-notch features and it looks sleek and stylish. You can use this multipurpose backpack for many outdoor activities.
- Seibertron Falcon Hiking Camping Backpack (Best for durability): Made by a renowned manufacturer, this bag packs the right balance of durability, comfort, and capacity. It is available in colors that allow you to say under the radar.
|5.11 RUSH24 Tactical Backpack, Medium, Style 58601, Sandstone||Prime||Buy Now|
|Direct Action Dragon Egg Mk II Tactical Backpack Coyote Brown 25 Liter Capacity||Prime||Buy Now|
|Seibertron Falcon Water Repellent Hiking Camping Backpack Compact Pack Summit Bag (Black 27L)||Prime||Buy Now|
What are the best tactical military mid-size backpacks by something strong?
1. Rush12 5.11 Tactical Backpack (Best for warranty)
To kick things off, we have this mid-size backpack from 5.11 Tactical. From hiking, hunting, camping, and trekking, this multipurpose bag is excellent for outdoor activities. It also packs amazing features, stability, and several individual compartments for your things.
The backpack comes in four cool colors and can fit a 15-inch laptop conveniently.
Dimension: 18 x 11 x 6.5 inches
Capacity: 24 liters
Weight: 2.6 pounds
Material: 1050D nylon
Warranty: Lifetime warranty
1. Durable backpack: Many users care about the durability of the best military backpacks, and fortunately, it’s an aspect that 5.11 Tactical exceeds at. The Rush12 backpack is well-stitched with self-repairing YKK® zippers. Its nylon material is also tough and strong.
2. Comfortable design: This backpack is designed to fit different torso lengths. It has well-padded and adjustable sternum straps, two external compression straps, and a contoured yoke shoulder-strap system. But best of all is that the Rush12 is made with 5.11 Tactical’s signature centerline design and has a SlickStick-compatible platform.
3. Roomy build: The Rush12 has a 60-oz hydration pocket, and 16 individual compartments for your things.
- It is water-resistant.
- The backpack has a sturdy build.
- It has MOLLE webbings for additional storage space.
- It doesn’t have in-built pads for laptops.
If you’re looking for a stylish tactical military mid-size backpack but something strong, then we recommend this 5.11 Tactical unit. The Rush12 holds much gear and is stable for tasking outdoor activities. The quick-release strap buckles are great, and the backpack has abrasive spots to prevent it from sliding down.
Our best thing about this backpack is that you can open it through 90 degrees. This comes in handy when passing through checkpoints. But on the downside, we hoped to see a hip belt on this unit and found its pocket eyewear pocket, that’s in a compartment a bit confusing.
Overall, the Rush12 is a top-notch backpack that recent users love. Its lifetime warranty is only icing on the cake because this unit can last well over two years.
2. Direct Action Dragon Egg MK II Tactical Backpack (Best for comfort)
Coming in second on our list is this heavy-duty backpack. The Dragon Egg K II is a great choice for outdoor enthusiasts, thanks to its spacious compartments. The bag is lightweight, versatile, and durable.
According to Direct Action, the Dragon Egg MK II packs three zippered compartments. Its main space has a mesh pocket and an internal hydration sleeve. But best of all, you can get it in several color/camo looks.
Dimension: 18.9 x 10.6 x 7.0 inches
Capacity: 25 liters
Weight: 3.5 pounds
Material: 500D Cordura fabric
Warranty: 1-year warranty
1. Quality material: Manufactured in Vietnam, The Dragon Egg MK II’s top-notch material is made in the US. Duraflex®/WooJin makes its clips and buckles.
2. Comfortable design: Another top feature of this backpack is it’s adjustable and comfortable design. Asides its quick-release adjustable shoulder straps, this backpack also has a patented CVS-Combat Vent System®. This keeps the bag off your back.
You can use it to carry a laptop that measures 9 x 15 inches, and its shape makes it comfortable to use with ballistic vests.
3. Attachable build: This backpack has D-ring attachment points and daisy chain webbing. These allow you to attach extra gear or quick access items.
- It doesn’t absorb moisture.
- The backpack has a durable paracord drag handle and side handles.
- It comes with a Velcro panel to stick IDs.
- It has a detachable waist belt and a chest strap.
- It is slightly heavy.
This backpack gets half its name from its egg-like shape and the other from its rugged design. It’s a great unit for organizing your gear and sure has loads of pockets for its 25-liter capacity.
We think the MOLLE/PALS compatible laser cut system looks great, and we really like the heavy-duty YKK zippers. But if you’re like us, then your favorite feature would be its soft velour-lined pocket for glasses.
The only thing that doesn’t sit well with us is that this backpack feels a bit heavy. But if you can live with that, then we recommend the Dragon Egg MKII backpack.
3. SOG Ninja Tactical Day Pack (Best budget backpack)
Many military backpacks don’t seem ideal for daily use, but not this bag. It is one of the best military backpacks for school in the market. However, you can also use it for camping and hiking.
This mid-size backpack comes in five different colors and can fit a 16-inch laptop. Here are its top specs.
Dimension: 17.1 x 11.1 x 6.1 inches
Capacity: 24.2 liters
Weight: 2.4 pounds
Material: Polyester/canvas blend
Warranty: Lifetime warranty
1. Exceptional design: The SOG Ninja looks like a regular backpack but packs the features of a heavy-duty tactical military unit. It has two side pockets for water bottles and a hydration system. What’s more, the back is padded and has airy mesh for extra comfort.
2. Durable: Everything from its YKK-standard zippers to buckles and fabric are durable. It also sports quality stitches.
3. MOLLE-friendly: You can attach many things to this backpack including a sleeping bag. This makes it versatile.
- It has a Velcro patch holder.
- It is relatively lightweight.
- A lifetime warranty backs it
- It has drainage holes.
- Its capacity can be a bit small for people who don’t pack light.
- The zippers can be tough to open and close at first.
There’s not a lot to fault about this tactical military backpack. It is customizable, water-resistant, and stylish. However, on this list, it is our most affordable backpack.
The multiple pockets of this backpack come in handy when packing gear. Although it can seem a bit small for tall folks, many customers think it’s just the right size.
If you’re looking for a premium tactical mid-size military backpack but something strong, then this might be the unit you’ve been looking for.
4. Armycamo Multifunction Military Tactical Backpack (Best capacity)
Three things that most users want in a backpack is for it to be durable, cool, and spacious. Here’s a bag that meets these criteria.
This imported Armycamo backpack is well-designed, with off-the-chart features. It has four compartments; one large main space, one secondary space, and two smaller front compartments.
It is water-resistant.
Dimension: 11 x 14.25 x 17 inches
Capacity: 30 liters
Weight: 2.8 pounds
Material: 600D polyester
1. Tough design: This backpack is made from quality polyester. It has tough self-repairing zippers and a 4-way compression strap system. According to its manufacturer, this bag is tear-resistant and comes with paracord pulls.
2. Spacious: Another top feature of the Armycamo 1159 is that it has many pockets and compartments to fit almost all your gear at once.
3. Adjustable and attachable: Asides from the fact that this backpack features front MOLLE webbing, it also has adjustable compression straps with D-rings.
- This backpack is roomy.
- It has drain grommets to keep it dry.
- It has a waist backpack for stability.
- Straps could break off after a few months.
If you need a military tactical backpack for school, you might not find a better unit than this bag. It is durable, strong, and quite fashionable. Moreover, you can fit your 15-inch laptop, and it will still have enough space for other items. Recent customers claim that this Armycamo backpack ‘fits the bill’, and we sure agree with them.
Although it is adjustable, we don’t recommend tightening the straps. Based on recent customer reports, that’s the primary reason the straps tear after a while.
Consider getting this backpack if you need a tactical military mid-size backpack but something strong.
5. Seibertron Falcon Hiking Camping Backpack (Best for durability)
This China-made backpack sits on the sixth spot, but not for lack of features. It comes in two sizes; 27 liters and 37 liters. However, it’s 27-liter unit is the mid-size unit. It has a chest and waist belt, and you have two colors to choose from (black and khaki).
This 27l Seibertron backpack will hold a 14.1-inch laptop and comes with an American flag patch.
Dimension: 16 x 9 x 11 inches
Capacity: 27 liters
Weight: 2.8 pounds
Material: 900D polyester
1. Waterproof: The backpack is great for traveling without having to worry about weather conditions.
2. Comfortable and fitting: This backpack has bottom straps for floor mats, adjustable chest, and waist belts, and mesh padding on the back. More still, its KAM buckles hold tightly and are durable.
3. Numerous pockets and compartments: The backpack features four major compartments. While the main one has a mesh and zippered pocket, the other two can easily fit water bottles.
- It has paracord zipper pulls.
- It has MOLLE modifiable.
- The waistbelt is removable.
- This backpack has tightly woven webbings.
- Its D-rings are plastic.
- The zippers are not waterproof.
The Seibertron Falcon 27-liter backpack makes this list as the best for quality material. It is that thick.
We found that it can hold a 2.5l water bladder. But our best thing about it is its versatility.
Furthermore, we like the solid stitching, but couldn’t wrap our heads around why the unit is water-resistant, but its zippers aren’t.
If you need a strong backpack to hold your binders, laptop, and gear, then this is perhaps the best military backpack you can get.
6. 5.11 Tactical RUSH24 Military Backpack (Best overall)
Remember a 5.11 Tactical backpack that we reviewed earlier? Well, here’s another unit from the same manufacturer. According to 5.11 Tactical, this backpack is suitable for recreational use or as an operational bug-out.
The RUSH24 has two water-repellent coating and two drainage grommets.
Dimension: 20 x 12.5 x 8 inches
Capacity: 37 liters
Weight: 4.2 pounds
Material: 1050D nylon
1. Thick material: This backpack is strong, thanks to its durable nylon material. It should take several binders and a 15.6 laptop conveniently.
2. Exception compression strap system: The backpack has a contoured yoke strap system. The sternum height is adjustable, and the unit has quick-release strap buckles.
3. MOLLE-friendly: The backpack has a wrap-around 5.11 SlickStick® web platform. This means you can customize it with pouches.
- It is durable and sturdy.
- This backpack has a hook and loop nametape.
- It has reinforced handles.
- It is a tad heavy.
- Its stitching isn’t the best.
If we were to select a tactical military mid-size backpack by something strong, then this bag would be one of the first we’d reach out for. It looks and feels great, and it can hold:
- A 13-inch laptop
- Two books
- A flashlight
- Four Notebooks
As we expected, its design is great, and we reckon that you should be able to use it for a long time. We’d advise you to go for this backpack if you need much space for your things and don’t mind its slight bulkiness.
7. Red Rock Outdoor Gear-Assault Backpack (Best for design)
The final backpack on our list is this customizable unit from Red Rock. This backpack has four expanding compartments and a clam-shell design. According to its manufacturers, this bag is designed for outdoor activities and is one of the best military backpacks for hiking.
Here are its top specifications:
Dimension: 18 x 9.5 x 9.5 inches
Capacity: 28 liters
Weight: 2.6 pounds
Material: 600D nylon
Warranty: 2 years.
1. Lightweight: Unlike many tactical military backpacks, this unit weighs only a few pounds. This makes it easy to use for long hours.
2. Comfortable backpack: Asides from its lightweight design, this backpack also has a mesh-ventilated back panel. Its waist and sternum straps are adjustable. Moreover, it has a reinforced carry handle for easy lifting.
3. Spacious design: There are loads of pockets and compartments in this backpack, including a 2.5L hydration bladder and in-built zippered pockets and dividers.
- It has hook and loop keepers for extra slack.
- It’s sturdy.
- It can be customized and expanded.
- It’s a bit small for bigger people.
We think this backpack delivers on virtually all the promises of its manufacturers. Its six quick-release compression straps are great, and we like that it comes in many colors.
If you’re in to get the best military backpack in the market, then we think you should consider this unit.
Buying Guide for a tactical military mid-size backpack by something strong
Here are the top factors to look out for when you decide to buy a stylish tactical military mid-size backpack by something strong:
1. Capacity: The first thing to look out for is the capacity of the tactical military bag you intend to get. Like other backpacks, capacity refers to how much it can hold and is measured in liters. Generally, mid-size backpacks have between a 25 to 40-liter capacity.
To figure out the best backpack capacity for you, consider what you need it for. Some backpacks are designed to hold gear for a day, and others for longer.
2. Material Quality: The fabric quality defines its thickness and, ultimately, its durability. The thickness of threads used in tactical backpacks is measured in denier (D). Therefore, a material with a 1050D rating is more durable than one with 500D.
3. Comfort: Here, consider factors like paddings at the back, adjustable design, and wide straps.
Customer reviews and detailed buying guides are some of the best resources to use.
4. Appearance and additional features: With this factor, consider the backpack’s color, shape, and design. Advanced features like a Pouch Attachment Ladder System (PALS) and Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment (MOLLE) are also worth considering.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the best tactical military backpack?
Our best backpack is the 5.11 Tactical RUSH24.
Q2. Can I use a tactical military backpack for school?
Yes. You can use one for school.
Q3. Where can I buy a tactical military backpack?
Tactical military backpacks are sold on Amazon and supermarkets.
Tactical military backpacks are now in vogue for schooling, commuting, hiking, and other outdoor activities.
If you need a tactical military mid-size backpack by something strong, we’re confident you’ll find one in our list above. Use our buying guide to help you decide the best military bag for your needs.
7 of The Best Backpacks with Water Bottle Holders – 2020
Backpacks with water bottle holders are slightly underrated. How? Here's everything you should know about them and Best Backpacks with Water Bottle Holders.
7 Best Backpacks with Lots of Pockets and Compartments
Need a backpack with lots of pockets and compartments? We've made a list of the 7 best multi-compartment backpacks available in the market.
7 Best Waterproof Backpacks for Rainy-Day Adventures: Reviews & Buying Guide
Waterproof backpacks can save the day. We've detailed the best waterproof backpacks for different needs and a guide to buy one.
7 Backpacks That Are Good For Your Back
It is common to ignore health related features when getting a new backpack. So, here's our advise on how to pick a backpack that is good for your back.
10 Best Backpacks for Men in 2020 for Everyday Carry: Reviews & Buying Guide
On the hunt for the best backpacks for men? Be sure to read the reviews we made on the best sellers available in the market today!