Table of Contents
A backpack with lots of pockets and compartments can make life easier. They come in handy when you want to organize a few things and are great for packing several items. Moreover, there are models for traveling, schooling, commuting, and other activities you need a multi-compartment backpack for.
Since no one likes going through messy stuff in their backpacks, we did our research to bring you the best seven multi-compartment backpacks in the market that will meet your needs. Here are our best three.
Our top 3 picks
|Matein Travel Laptop Backpack: Business Anti Theft Slim Durable Laptops Backpack with USB Charging Port, Water Resistant College School Computer Bag Gifts for Men & Women Fits 15.6 Inch Notebook, Grey
|Volher Laptop Anti-theft Business Backpack: Business Travel Anti Theft Slim Durable Laptops Backpack with USB Charging Port,Water Resistant College School Computer Bag for Women & Men Fits 15.6 Inch Laptop and Notebook - Black
|The North Face Recon Backpack, TNF Black, One Size
- Matein Travel Laptop Backpack (Best overall): This backpack has the right balance of capacity, design, and durability. It can fit a regular-sized laptop and still have enough pockets for other things.
- Volher Laptop Anti-theft Business Backpack (Best for backpack material): This bag is durable, thanks to its premium fabric. As a plus, it looks stylish and has anti-theft features. More still, it has tons of pockets at every corner.
- The North Face Recon Backpack (Best for warranty): Made by a leading backpack manufacturer, this pocket-filled unit has a large capacity. It also sports a superior suspension system.
The 7 best multi-compartment backpacks of 2020
1. Matein Travel Laptop Backpack (Best overall)
The Matein travel backpack is simple and functional. Together with its insane number of pockets and compartments, these features are the reasons it has made our list.
It has an airflow design and thick but soft support at the back. There’s also a foam handle at the top. However, you could use the adjustable straps to carry it for long hours.
The Matein travel backpack is a unisex backpack that can fit a 15.6-inch laptop conveniently.
Dimensions: 18 x 12 x 7.8 inches
Weight: 1.56 pounds
- Stylish design: Matein puts a lot of thought into its bags’ design, and this backpack with a lot of pockets and compartments is no exception. The numerous colors to choose from are eye-catchy, and each unit comes with an in-built USB charger and cable.
- Comfortable: From its padded handle to its breathable straps and back paddings, this large multi-pocket backpack is clearly designed for comfort.
- Large capacity: This backpack has a more-than-average capacity that should take your daily necessities at once.
- It’s water-resistant.
- It has an anti-theft pocket.
- It has hanging claps and a luggage strap.
- Its laptop compartment doesn’t have protective paddings.
At a glance, we thought this backpack was a regular bag with at most three pockets and two compartments. However, on examining the unit, we found that it has:
- One laptop compartment
- One main compartment for clothes, books, and folders
- One front compartment with pockets for your phone, pens, and markers
- Two side pockets for compact umbrellas and water bottles
- One theft-proof back pocket for valuables.
Asides its amazing number of pockets and compartments, the unit is also well-designed and sturdy. Our research found that it is great for people of all ages, and although it is a travel backpack, you could also use it for other activities.
The only issue we had with this backpack is its laptop compartment. It lacks the protection we expected in a top-quality bag. However, if you don’t mind this setback, then we think you should consider buying this Matein travel bag.
2. Yorepek Extra Large Travel Backpack (Best for capacity)
Coming in second is this affordable Yorepek backpack that makes this list as our best for capacity. It spots loads of pockets that should fit almost everything you need for a long trip, while still being comfortable to wear.
Like other top-quality backpacks on our list, this unit is well-designed and best-suited for adults and young teens. It can take a 17.3-inch laptop conveniently, but the best part is that it is water and tear-resistant.
Here are its top specs.
Dimensions: 19.0×14.6×10.2 inches
Material: polyester and fabric
Weight: 2.42 pounds
- TSA-friendly: One of the best things about this backpack is that it is TSA-approved. Therefore, you can rotate it through 90 and 180 degrees. This eliminates the need to remove your things when you get to checkpoints.
- Convenient design: This backpack is designed to make carrying things and multitasking easier. It has a sturdy and rugged handle, as well as side compression straps. What’s more, the Yorepek extra-large backpack has an external USB port and a hole for your headphone.
- Durable material: Asides its water and tear-resistant properties, the fabric of this backpack is tough and lined with high-density nylon. The backpack is also shockproof.
- It has an extra-large capacity.
- Its pockets are easy to reach.
- It has breathable straps and back padding.
- The stitch finish isn’t great.
- It is quite heavy.
This backpack is undoubtedly one of the biggest in the market. According to its manufacturer, the extra-large backpack has three spacious main compartments and 20 independent pockets for your things. We reckon that this space should be enough for anyone to get by.
The backpack’s airflow design is definitely a plus, and there’s much to love about its thoughtful scan smart features. However, we felt Yorepek could improve the finish of its stitches and weight of this bag.
Nevertheless, this is definitely one backpack with lots of pockets and compartments you should go for if you need a multi-compartment bag to travel.
3. Volher Laptop Anti-theft Business Backpack (Best for backpack material)
Many multi-compartment backpacks have boring looks and saggy designs, but not this Volher backpack.
It is stylish, made from quality fabric, and filled with many pockets.
This backpack comes in four eye-popping colors, all of which are lined with reflective materials. The sleek bag also has adjustable straps and a well-padded multi-panel back. It is designed for both men and women, and its main selling point is its great design.
Dimensions: 18 x13 x 8 inches
Material: polyester and fabric
Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Durable design: This Volher backpack has a sturdy handle, water-resistant fabric, and metal zippers. Together, these features make it tough and long-lasting.
- Anti-theft build: The backpack has a hidden pocket and a luggage strap that comes in handy when traveling.
- Breathable and comfortable: The bag has mesh elastic pads and an easy-to-reach in-built USB port.
- It’s thick and fashionable.
- It has a large laptop compartment.
- It comes with a headphone port.
- The inside material makes crinkly noises.
As far as large fashionable backpacks go, there’s hardly any match for this Volher backpack. It is stronger than it looks and can definitely help to keep your things safe.
Our research found that it can fit a 15.6-inch laptop with ample space left to keep other things. Thanks to its large capacity and numerous pockets, almost everything you need for a short trip should fit in it.
We recommend this backpack with lots of pockets and compartments if you’re in to get a multipurpose bag.
4. The North Face Recon Backpack (Best for warranty)
Midway through our list, we have this durable The North Face backpack that allows you to keep your things organized while on the move. It’s a roomy bag that’s designed for comfort and includes superior suspension.
Unlike other multi-compartment backpacks, this unit has all-round reflectivity and stretchable mesh side pockets for water bottles and umbrellas. According to The North Face, you can fit a helmet or a 15-inch laptop in this backpack, and there’ll still be enough space for other things you need.
Although this backpack is designed for men, there’s a female version that offers similar features.
Dimensions: 19.25 x 13 x 7 inches
Material: 600D Polyester Toile, 500D Nylon Oxford Slub, 420D Nylon, 210D Cordura® Nylon Ripstop, Polyester Jacquard Camo
Weight: 2 pounds
- FlexVent suspension technology build: This backpack’s strap, padded mesh back panel, and lumbar panel are all comfortable to wear and well-ventilated.
- Recon classic design: The Recon backpack is a step away from previous models. It includes a stretchable front pocket and allows for better organization.
- Commuting-friendly look: This backpack has a comfortable top handle, a sternum strap with a whistle buckle, and a removable waist belt.
- It is well-designed and super-light.
- It has a large capacity.
- The backpack is sturdy.
- It is designed for men only.
- Its front compartment extends towards the main compartment.
The North Face Recon backpack is perhaps the best backpack with compartments that you’d find for its price. We like that it is carefully designed and offers the right balance of simplicity and capacity. That’s why we consider this backpack with lots of pockets and compartments as one of the best out there.
Although it comes in handy when you want to organize your things, we felt the front and main compartments should be separated and not connected at the bottom. Overall, you should go for this unit if you want a stylish and large capacity backpack that has a lifetime warranty.
5. Everki EKP121 Atlas Backpack (Best for design and comfort)
Another backpack with lots of pockets and compartments that is great for work, traveling, and school is this Everki bag. The sturdy backpack can take a 13 to a 17-inch laptop and offers top-quality organizational features.
Like other backpacks in the Atlas series, this unit has multiple pockets in several compartments. But the best thing about this backpack is that it comes with a lifetime warranty that covers defects.
Dimensions: 18.9 x 13.4 x 9.1 inches
Material: Nylon, polyester, and pu
Weight: 4 pounds
- Travel-friendly: This backpack allows easy checking and screening at ports. It can open through 180 degrees and be placed on a trolley handle. It also has easy-access pockets where you can keep valuables.
- Ergonomic design: Thanks to its 5-point balance strap system, this backpack distributes weight and reduces muscle strain. There are two adjustable straps on the shoulder, two quick-slide bottom straps and one on the chest.
- Stylish and fashionable: The inside of this backpack is lined with high-contrast yellow. This way, you’d never forget to zip a compartment.
- It is well-designed and made from quality fabrics.
- This backpack is strong and durable.
- A lifetime warranty backs this lifetime.
- It is quite heavy.
We think this backpack is amazing and a unit you should consider if you’re big on comfort. We like that it is designed to last for years, which is evident with its large, metal zippers and quality fabric. However, our favorite feature is its tiny sunglasses pocket and hook for hanging the bag.
If you carry a water bottle around, then you’d find that the side pockets are a bit too small. However, there seems to be a pocket and compartment for every other thing you want to pack.
For its price, we think this is a useful backpack, and several recent customers that referred to it as ‘THE BAG’ would agree with us.
6. High Sierra Loop Backpack (Best budget backpack)
Earlier, we reviewed a bag for men. Now, here’s a backpack with compartments that women can rock any day. It is a large unit that helps you keep your gear organized while on the move. It comes with a separate space for your laptop or tablet and a key fob hook for smaller items.
The High Sierra Loop is a great travel, work, and school companion.
Dimensions: 19 x 13.5 x 8.5 inches
Weight: 2.04 pounds
- Impressive suspension system: This backpack is comfortable to carry because it reduces weight transfer shocks.
- Large capacity: Asides the spectacular number of pockets it offers, this backpack also allows you to fit a lot of things in its roomy main compartments.
- Convenient design: Its compression straps are adjustable, and there are non-slip pads for your shoulders. More still, the back panel is padded.
- It has an integrated yoke-style handle.
- It comes in multiple colors.
- This backpack is versatile and a multipurpose bag.
- The side and front pockets are slightly small.
- The laptop compartment isn’t well-padded.
If you long for a backpack you can use for school and hiking trips, then we think you should consider this bag. It has amazing colors and comes at an affordable fee. The icing on the cake is its pockets that fit a lot of things at once.
We were a bit disappointed with the fabric used in making this backpack. Although High Sierra claims it is polyester, it doesn’t seem to be the best grade. Nevertheless, recent customers claim that they love this backpack, and we can see why.
Overall, this backpack with lots of pockets should be on your shopping list if you need a simple, large-capacity, multi-pocket backpack.
7. Tocode Laptop Backpack (Best lightweight backpack)
Finally, we have this rucksack-like backpack from Tocode. It is made from premium fabric and packs loads of pockets in its compartments.
At the back, this backpack with lots of pockets and compartments has paddings that act as a support. You also get adjustable shoulder straps, and the entire unit can stand upright on its own.
Dimensions: 22 7x 12 x 7 inches
Material: Oxford fabric
Weight: 1.17 pounds
- Lightweight: This unit is designed to make it easy for you to lift and drop things you keep in your backpack.
- Durable design: This water-resistant backpack has reinforced stitches and quality fabric that should last for many years.
- Large capacity: The bag can hold a 17-inch laptop or an 87-key mechanical keyboard easily.
- It is spacious.
- It has a USB 2.0 charging port.
- Its meshed pockets are large and elastic.
- The inside comes apart easily.
There are a lot of great bags out there. But this backpack with lots of pockets and compartments is one of the best you can get if you want a lightweight backpack. It has metal zippers, a comfortable handle, and one of the best designs we’ve seen.
Its storage capacity is undoubtedly one of the best things about this backpack. However, we like that it is a multipurpose unit.
On the downside, the inside’s seam is not well finished, and we expected this unit to have a waist strap. But since the pros outshine its cons, we suggest you consider this backpack if you need an affordable bag for kids, teens, or adults.
What to consider before buying a backpack with lots of pockets and compartments?
How do you make up your mind if you only want one or two of the best backpacks? Well, here are factors to consider before you get a backpack with lots of pockets and compartments:
1. The number of pockets and compartments: If you’re in to get a backpack with side pockets and many compartments, you can’t go wrong with this factor. The more a bag has, the better.
2. The backpack material quality: The fabric quality plays a decisive role in determining a backpack’s durability. So, if it’s important to you, you should look for backpacks made from high-quality materials. Nylon, polyester, and Oxford fabric are a few common materials used.
3. Capacity: Backpacks with lots of pockets and space aren’t the same as large-capacity units. Therefore, while getting a unit that has slots for your things might be important, you should also consider how spacious these slots and pockets are.
The capacity of a backpack is measured in liters.
4. Design and comfort: Here, consider the straps, waist belt, paddings, USB port (if any), and anti-theft features. Ultimately, getting a stylish backpack that you can wear all day should be the target, if you’re big on comfort and looks.
Q1. What is the best backpack with lots of pockets and compartments?
Our overall best backpack is the Matein travel backpack.
Q2. How often should I wash my backpack?
If you’re gunning for a backpack with lots of pockets and compartments, then you should pay attention to what you keep in each space. Generally, cleaning it weekly should do.
Q3. How do I know if a backpack is the best fit for me?
Follow the steps here to find out if the backpack you intend to get is the right fit for you.
In this article, we’ve eased your search for the best multi-compartment backpacks by providing you with the top seven in the market. Go through our list to find the best backpack with lots of pockets and compartments for your needs.
7 Best Tactical Military Mid-Size Backpacks by Something Strong [UPDATED 2020]
Looking for a tactical military mid-size backpack by something strong? Here are our reviews of the best seven available in the market.
7 Backpacks That Are Good For Your Back
It is common to ignore health related features when getting a new backpack. So, here's our advise on how to pick a backpack that is good for your back.
7 of The Best Backpacks with Water Bottle Holders – 2020
Backpacks with water bottle holders are slightly underrated. How? Here's everything you should know about them and Best Backpacks with Water Bottle Holders.
7 Best Waterproof Backpacks for Rainy-Day Adventures: Reviews & Buying Guide
Waterproof backpacks can save the day. We've detailed the best waterproof backpacks for different needs and a guide to buy one.
10 Best Backpacks for Men in 2020 for Everyday Carry: Reviews & Buying Guide
On the hunt for the best backpacks for men? Be sure to read the reviews we made on the best sellers available in the market today!